Most marriages begin with love, enthusiasm, commitment, resolve, and expectations of happiness. But sometimes, things don’t work out as planned. When things aren’t working out, the reasons cited for divorce often include the following issues:
- Poor communication
- Disagreements involving finances, in-laws or step-relationships
- Lack of maturity, commitment and/or shared goals
- Alcohol or drug use
- Physical, sexual, or emotional abuse
- Cruel and inhumane treatment
Reasons for divorce can remain more private now that New York effectively has no-fault divorce. However, practical matters that a divorce entails continue to be challenging for many New Yorkers. You may have questions about your future, so it is important to work with a highly qualified divorce attorney to help you navigate the legal aspects of the divorce.
We’ve compiled a list of questions you might be concerned about while contemplating a divorce and links to further information:
- What options do I have when it comes to property division for a straightforward or complex divorce?
- What about child custody, child visitation and child support?
- Can a divorce lawyer help me with issues of domestic violence and orders of protection?
- What type of judgment modifications and judgment enforcement will be needed?
- What about Spousal support?
- Can you help with tax issues related to divorce?
When your financial future is at stake…
Financial issues can be more difficult than usual when you’re dealing with a divorce. Underwater mortgages, health insurance concerns, and retirement accounts can create high-stakes areas of conflict in divorce settlement negotiations. When your best interests are on the line, you can count on the experienced Hudson Valley divorce lawyers Stenger, Roberts, Davis & Diamond can provide.